I bought the Flora dress pattern from By Hand London a while ago (around the same time I made the Vogue 8723) and it wasn’t high on my priority to make straightaway, I have to admit, as the two patterns were quite similar.
When I saw the above Modcloth dress recently, though, I knew that I could create something similar using this pattern. I love the high neckline and straps of this dress, plus its block colour, and I had some purple viscose I’d bought at Walthamstow market months ago that I hadn’t quite found the perfect project for.
The straps on the Flora are a bit thicker than the Modcloth dress so naturally, I amended them, by halving the width. I also made a double strap as I’ve been pinning a lot of unusual strapped dresses and tops lately. I think I literally made the decision as I was cutting out the one strap and thought it would be a great addition to the dress. I’m really happy with how it’s turned out though. The double straps make me want to wear it more often.
The skirt on the Modcloth dress is pleated but I used to make a lot of pleated things early on in my sewing journey and I just didn’t fancy it. I didn’t use the skirt options that the Flora came with either and instead opted for the circle skirt from the full-skirted dress in The Great British Sewing Bee’s Sew Your Own Wardrobe book.
The skirt is fuller than it appears here (and I’ve realised that the dress is in desperate need of an iron) but I’m really happy with it. I adore the double strap and the vibrant colour and I just want to wear it all the time. Too bad I have to wait for the summer though!