Dressmaking & sewing, Featured

Vogue V1102: A dream backless dress

August 8, 2015
Vogue V1102

Remember this post, where I said I was lusting after backless dresses? For a while there, in the hot weather, backless or cut out dresses were all I could think of and I knew I’d have to at least try making one this summer.

So make one I did. In collaboration with White Tree Fabrics, who supplied me with the fabrics, dress pattern and notions, I chose to make the Vogue V1102, a lovely sleeveless dress with a circle skirt and a bow closure on the back.

I chose this fabric as I really liked the print and thought the colour would work well with the pattern. I’ve also seen the girls from By Hand London use it in a blog post so that’s always an endorsement.

Vogue V1102
It took barely any time to make and I think the whole dress was cut and sewn up in less than a day. As the pattern has a circle skirt, I did have to shorten it by about an inch to make the pattern fit the fabric. I cut it on the grainline, but I think even cutting it against the grain wouldn’t have mattered too much either, as the print is so busy. The bodice is also quite short so I think next time I’ll add extra length there, but that’s only my personal preference.

The other main alteration I made was to remove the bow. In my opinion, the bow is just too cumbersome and makes the dress far less wearable than it should be. Plus I like the backless option. I love Almond Rock’s version with a ribbon, but I figured I can just add a bow or ribbon on mine at a later date. I would say removing the ribbon means that the dress shoulders aren’t held up so well, so the bow does add a function, but I haven’t really worn the dress out yet enough to try this out, so I will wait and see.

Vogue V1102

Vogue V1102

Vogue V1102

Vogue V1102

I originally imagined a lilac or purple version of this dress, so that’s definitely next on my list to make.

Have you made a V1102? What do you think about the bow? I’d love to know!

You Might Also Like

10 Comments

• Reply Amy August 8, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Great dress! I’m totally with you about the bow. IT’S HUGE! I hope the straps stay up for you but you could add a ribbon like me or even just a thin strap straight across your back shoulders for support if needed ?

• Reply Aneira August 8, 2015 at 3:30 pm

Thanks Amy! A strap sounds like a good idea! :)

• Reply Bonnie August 9, 2015 at 10:24 am

This is a lovely dress! Really nice fabric – I find green fabrics hard to come by. You haven’t shown the back though, I’d love to see what it looks like (maybe in your lilac version 😉 ).

• Reply Aneira August 9, 2015 at 10:47 am

Thanks Bonnie! Have now added a photo of the back of the dress :)

• Reply Bonnie August 9, 2015 at 11:58 am

That looks great! Perfect for the summer :)

• Reply Flora August 12, 2015 at 4:24 pm

This is so impressive!! For a LONG time I’ve been wanting to learn to sew (I know I know, I should just make the time to start) because I’m only 4 ft 11 …so many clothes just don’t FIT right. You’re a real inspiration! I love the fabric and that low back is SO feminine and sensual without being ‘trashy’. It’s absolutely beautiful – if you were selling these I would buy them!

Also, just wanted to say thank you so much for following on Bloglovin’! We’re literally just starting and it’s such a buzz to see a new follower notification, so thank you so much! We are of course following in return and can’t wait to read lots more of your posts!

Flora

• Reply Aneira August 15, 2015 at 9:01 am

Thanks Flora! And thanks for the follows too. Sewing is so much fun and I’d really recommend it. There are some great websites out there (byhandlondon.com for example) that really tailor to beginners and offer great advice! Thanks so much for the compliment – it means a lot! I look forward to reading your posts too – the blog looks great so far! Aneira x

• Reply Barrett Watterson August 31, 2015 at 9:12 am

We love the combination of patterns and fabrics that our bloggers come up with and we love seeing what they create from them. Maria chose the Sew Liberated Brynna dress pattern and teamed it with the classic Liberty Strawberry Thief.

• Reply A different shade of green - And she madeAnd she made October 2, 2015 at 11:40 am

[…] feels like ages since I made the green Vogue V1102 dress, especially as I’ve made a few more since then. I had some leftover fabric from the […]

• Reply Pattern mixing: A Vogue Anna hack - And she madeAnd she made October 4, 2015 at 3:13 pm

[…] hacked the Anna to fit with the Vogue V1102 (previously posted about here) and swapped the backless dress for the Ruby back (here) which was a great idea I found on Almond […]